Handstamped Tile Coasters By Candy McSween
Turning a home-improvement store tile into a beautiful coaster is an easy project that makes a great gift as well. They can be stamped in a variety of ways to coordinate with any décor.
- 4 inch Tumbled Tiles (from your local home improvement store)
- StazOn Solvent Ink (in black)
- Decorative chalks
- Chalking tool (or cotton swabs)
- Acrylic Stamps (I used these CTMH stamps – No Peeking, Rustic Flowers, Alfresco)
- Acrylic Block for stamping
- Facial Tissues for blending chalk
- Aerosol Hairspray (the cheap kind)
- Silicon or felt "bumpers" for the bottom of your coasters
- Prep your tiles by wiping them with a damp paper towel to remove any manufacturing dust. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Ink your stamps thoroughly with StazOn. Stamp image on your tile. Be very careful as you stamp as the surface may be slippery and your stamped image might smear. ** Hint: Inking your acrylic stamp with VersaMark ink first may lesson the staining of your stamps.
- Allow the ink to dry. Use the chalks to color in any areas you desire. Layer the chalk until you achieve the look you prefer. Use a tissue to blend chalks to your liking.
- Spray the tile lightly with the hairspray. You want to seal the chalks, but still allow for some moisture absorption. Allow to dry.
- When dry, attach the bumpers to the bottom of your coasters to prevent scratching of your tables.
There are some variations to making these. You can use colored permanent markers (i.e. Sharpies) to color your stamped image. You can also use dye based ink pads to stamp your images, then bake the tiles in your oven to heat set the inks (350° for approximately 30-45 minutes). Another way to personalize the tiles is to add a photo to them. You will need to seal the photo with a sealant (such as Mod Podge). Keep in mind that the stronger the seal over the coaster, the less absorbent the tile will be. And finally, you can use larger tumbled tiles to make coordinating trivets or decorative plates.
These coasters are so easy and inexpensive to make, you’ll want to experiment with different colors and styles. Use your imagination and have fun with this impressive craft.